Saturday, April 21, 2012

Birth Story Part Two

When we arrived at the hospital Dr H had already told Labor & Delivery I was on my way and he wanted to get the section started by 7:30.  Mind you that was less than an hour from the time we pulled in to the hospital parking lot and we still had to be admitted, get blood work done, start iv, etc...  Luckily, when we got to L&D they said there was no way that was possible and the surgery would probably start around 8am.  This was awesome because my mom was on her way from Montgomery (about a two hour drive!) and T's parents were coming in from Akron which is about 30 mins but they also had to shower and get ready.  So that meant, it was T, TB and myself at the hospital without anyone to watch TB!  My friend Melissa and T's parents got there about 10 mins before they came to get me for surgery and my mom got there about 5 mins after they took me back.  Everything went so fast!  Seriously, I thought my emergency section with TB was fast but this was super fast or I just forgot about the delivering time with TB.

Once in the OR I was freezing!  I swear they had it set to 10 below zero.  My nurse set me up so I could get the spinal and I was praying the Dr wouldn't miss like they did with TB.  (With TB the Dr missed on the first try and had to try again.  When he missed he hit a nerve and my leg shot up and I might have said an ugly word.)  Well apparently I should have kept quiet because not only did he miss... He missed three times!  To be exact the Dr didn't miss three times - there was a student from UAB there and he was doing my spinal while the Dr watched and coached.  After he missed the second time the Dr gave me a numbing shot but unfortunately that only numbs the outer skin and I needed my spinal cord numb!  He tried one more time and then the Dr took over.  The Dr got it on the first try and I was ready to sing his praises!  As soon as the spinal was placed they laid me back and then it started...  The spinal started coming up instead of going down.  I felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest.  The nurse gave me some meds to fix that and I was good to go!


Dr H came in, said hello and got started!  I was a nervous wreck!!!  As soon as Dr H started they let The Hubs come in and he stood to my left watching every single thing Dr H did to me.  Every few seconds he would look down, brush my face and make sure I was okay.  After about 20 mins Dr H said those magical words we had been waiting to hear...  She's almost here!!!  A second later we heard her cry and it was amazing!!!



I had previously instructed The Hubs that as soon as EK was born he could not leave her side until she was brought to our room.  (Sidenote: TB never made it to my room.  She was sent to Well Baby and then after being there for an hour she had problems breathing and was rushed to the NICU.  Once in there they started all kinds of procedures on her and I was not even made aware of any of it until it was all done.)  The Hubs then took EK to the Nursery and made a pit stop to let TB meet her sissy!  We wanted TB to meet her first because she wanted to be in the OR and couldn't understand why she wasn't "old enough".

I absolutely LOVE this picture!!!

She is so proud! :)
The section took about an hour and then I was sent to the Recovery Room.  Once in Recovery they let my mom and TB come back there.  TB wanted to make sure I was okay and she also wanted to make sure my tummy was little since sissy wasn't in there.  She was a little disappointed that my tummy was still big.  The Hubs stayed with EK and my mom stayed with me.  I was only in Recovery for about 20 mins and then they sent me to my room.

Part Three will finish out the hospital stay and include lots more pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment